Friday, February 12, 2010

Free Time = Bad

I had never thought that it was possible to have "too much" free time until I graduated from college and moved home to look for a job.  Now I know that too much free time isn't good for you. It makes you do crazy things.  Like go through all your mom's recipes and type them up until you have over 100 pages of recipes.  Or, get excited to clean the house just because it's something to do.

Like I said, too much free time isn't good for you.

In order to fill my free time I've also become a book worm.  Over the years I've read every novel in our house at least once, and we have quite a few.  So, I've started going to the library, but there are so many books to choose from and I don't want to choose something that will be a complete waste of my time.

So, I was really excited when I was reading my friend Beth's blog and she was making a list of 100 books to read before she dies.  Brilliant.

I've started making a list of books I've thought about reading, but never really had a chance because school took up too much of my time.  So far I have 78 books that I've found as "must reads" on different lists.

Now here comes the point of this post.

Took me long enough to get there, I know.

I would really like to hear your thoughts on what books I should add to the list.  Are there any that you think every person should read before they die?  Or any you thought were inspiring, thought provoking, or just plain good?

Let me know if there's any book I absolutely must add to my list.  I would really appreciate it!


Oh, and here's a little random something that I absolutely love, just because I hate all text posts, and this talks about being bored.


If any of you haven't ever read the Calvin and Hobbes comic strips.... DO IT!  You'll fall in love.

That is all.

6 comments:

  1. You should read: Suzanne Collins'
    The Hunger Games
    & Catching Fire

    As well as: Scott Westerfeld's
    Uglies
    Pretties
    Specials
    & Extras

    I am reading the Fablehaven series right now too and I like them.

    I'll try to think of some more for you too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the first book that came to mind is "The Poisonwood Bible" it is really good, interesting thought provoking etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm big time into non-fiction right now. If you haven't already read this (I know your parents love him) read Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover." I wish I'd read it sooner.

    These ones you won't care about yet, but put them on your list for later: Dr. Laura's "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husband's" and "In Praise of Stay at Home Moms." "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merrilee Boyack. "Children: The Challenge" by Rudolf Dreikurs. All excellent books!

    Fiction wise, I love children's literature. Shannon Hale has some great ones: "Goose Girl" and the 3 that go after that and "Princess Academy" are so good! (I didn't like "Austenland" of hers and am not interested in her other young adult books either. I prefer her children's lit books for sure).

    Jerry Spinelli's "Star Girl" and "Loser" are among my favorite books of all time.

    Heidi already mentioned Fablehaven, but I'll second them. Really good (not necessarily on my must read list, but very entertaining nonetheless).

    "The Great and Terrible" series by Chris Stewart. AMAZING! These are fiction books that really make you think about the gospel yet they're extremely entertaining. Stay up late till you can't keep your eyes open anymore entertaining. And definitely on my "everyone must read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 5 love languages and Personality Plus! They are self-help books but very good ones that help you figure out other people and yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came back to also mention "The 5 Love Languages." So good! (You're probably already aware of it seeing how you're parents gave me my copy for my wedding.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best book ever is The Hiding Place. It's the true story of Corrie ten Boom - my absolute hero. She lived in Haarlem when the Nazis took over. Her decision to help a Jewish family led to her leading an underground network. She was sent to a prison camp where her and her sister learn to be Christian to the core...it's incredibly inspiring! Her other writings are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed